Monday, November 30, 2015

Scratch Game Design



Recently, in our GT class, we have been working on coding. We made a simple chase game and mine is a polar bear chasing a penguin. User experience did effect how I made my game. For example, the way my sprites looks. The polar bear was originally just a happy little bear but then I made him look a little more intimidating by adding eyebrows. Another thing I changed was the timer. I added in a timer because the game is very simple and a little boring. I thought by adding in a timer it would make the game a little more exciting. In my platform game, I decided to make the duck appear at the bottom of the screen after touching the dot so ti wasn't so easy to win. The duck itself didn't change its looks at all. Maybe if I changed it's costume when it fell that would make it a little more interesting.

My chase game is about a penguin that saw a polar bear ad started to run. Its as simple as that. I made the background change maybe around 5 times. In my platform game, a duck is flying from cloud to cloud trying to get to the purple dot in the sky.  Both my games are pretty simple but their unique. My platform game has many levels and only changes the background about 3 times. By many levels, I mean the levels just keep going until the timer hits zero. If you get past 3-5 levels, you win! My penguin changes it's costume from normal to wide-eyed. As I said before, my duck doesn't change it's costume but the penguin does.

My best code that I was most proud of was probably the way my penguin moves. It moves very smoothly which I'm proud of. Although, I may have just copied the code from Ashley's screen so it wasn't very difficult. But another thing I'm proud of, is my duck because it jumps, and lands on platforms and ground rather than falling through it. Im very proud of that. It took me a while to work out how it works but in the end I got it. The most difficult bug to work out was the jumping as well. I mean the duck fell through the floor. Another bug was trying to get the duck to say "Next Level!" when it touched the dot. For some reason it wouldn't but it would change the background but in the end I fixed it. 

11 comments:

  1. I really like how smoothly your penguin and your polar bear go
    I am not sure how you win this game, so you can try to use a stop all block after the penguin gets up to 10 points or something
    I really like you made the background change every 10 seconds it really makes the audience get engaged

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your game! Especially how the background kept changing. Although, the timer kept going after it reached 0. It basically went into the negatives. Other than that, I really like how you had an overall winter theme! It was really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Denae! Nice game! I really enjoyed how you were able to creatively switch the backgrounds to give the game a very interesting look. However, did you try a sensing script? Just so your sprite won't go into the ground? Overall, I believe that your game was very great, especially of the adorable little duck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Great game Denae! Although maybe you could get more backdrops by going to the backdrops button and choosing more backdrops. Great game and keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your platformer is really well done. I like the way the background changes by reaching your goal.
    It's pretty hard to beat and pretty glitchy. You should try so more sensing blocks or change your gravity engine.
    I think the game was pretty cool. the movement was really good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Dena! Great game, I like how your penguin and polar bear move smoothly across the screen. Although, I cat figure out how to win. However, good job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Denae! I really like how you have a short story line in the beginning of your game. Maybe, if you reach a certain amount of points, you can win. But overall, I really love your characters! They are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the christmas theme for your chase game! I think maybe make the walking look a bit more realistic though. Also I like the speech bubbles in the beginning telling you to run.

    ReplyDelete
  10. your chase game was well done your bird came down perfectly, Maybe you can tell me how many more levels there are or adjust the timer so when the bricks stop falling the timer stops, Great job though I love the different backdrops

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really liked that you had the backgrounds change it was a cool feature. I think you could make the bear a bit smaller it was hard to get past him because he was so big. You did a good job I thought the concept of the game was really unique.

    ReplyDelete